G.W.'s Transparencies: The Thames Tunnel
Published by Reeves & Sons, Cheapside.; W.Morgan, 64 Hatton Garden.; T.Fisher, 1 Hanway Street, Oxford Street,; J. Reynolds, 174 Strand; E.Wilson, Jun, 16 King William Street,; London. n.d. [c1838].
Engineered by Brunel, Father &Son Hand Colored aquatint
Single Lithograph - Image 13x18cm mounted on sheet 23x30cm.
The lithograph displays the Thames Tunnel featuring gas lamps positioned in the side arches. To create a luminous effect, the lamps have been punctured, and tissue paper has been carefully attached behind them. When the lithograph is held up to the light, the gas lamps create the illusion of shining brightly.
Reeves and Sons was established by William Reeves (1739–1803) in 1766. It was taken over by his sone William John after his death. Following William John's death in 1827, the business became Reeves & Sons. The Reeves brothers are credited with the invention of watercolor cakes.
G.W.'s Transparency views cost four or five shillings, G.W.'s Dioramic Views No. 1. was the Church of St. Juanthe. The second of “G.W.’s Dioramic Views,” was “A Village destroyed by an Avalanche,” and was also published by Reeves & Sons, Cheapside, and W. Morgan, 64, Hatton Garden. No. 3 - Netley Abbey, No. 4 was Italian Bandits - others were Fisherman`s Hut, French Smugglers and a canal and windmill scene.
Note: The National Portrait Gallery has a lot of information about Reeves and Sons.